Sunday, June 24, 2012

Garden Alive!

"She sat down in a weed patch, her elbows on her knees, and kept her eyes on the small sterious world of the ground. In the shade and sun of grass blade forests, small living things had their metropolis."   
- Nancy Price
When I really look at, I mean really PAY ATTENTION TO, the creatures in my yard, I am astonished. I equate the feeling to finding myself in a dark, remote area and observing hundreds of thousands of stars glowing in the night sky. I ask myself: Is there all of a sudden a huge increase in the number of stars up there, or were they always there and I just didn't see them, or pay attention to them?



When I really began to look at, I mean really PAY ATTENTION TO, the creatures in my small, urban yard, this is what I have observed:
Squirrels, and whole lot of them
Carpenter bees
Bumblebees 
Honeybees
Ants of many sorts
Crickets
Leafminers
Praying mantids
Rabbits 
 Lady bugs and their larvae
Cardinals
Moths
Butterflies
Grasshoppers
 Mites of several sorts
 Leafhoppers
Flies of many sorts
Earwigs
Raccoons
Slugs
Robins
Aphids
Blue jays
Wasps
 June beetles
Japanese beetles
Pill bugs
Wireworms
Dragonflies
Starlings
Chipmunks
Wrens
Woodpeckers
Mosquitos
Gnats
Garden webworms
Goldfinches
Nightcrawlers
Millipedes
Cabbage worms
Spiders of many sorts
Soldier bugs
Neighborhood cats
White-breasted nuthatches

My garden is alive! I have personally seen every one of the above in the last three months--that's an ACTIVE, garden party kind of yard.



Is this good, bad, normal? I don't know, but it is astonishing to me.

Humans are physically larger than any one creature on the list, yet we are grossly outnumbered. That fact is a bit unsettling to me--several month's worth of work in the garden could be completely obliterated in a few buggy nights ...  if not for the awesome balance of nature.

When have you last paid attention to what's alive in your yard?

No comments:

Post a Comment