Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Sun Was Warm But the Wind Was Chill

Geez Louise, it's windy out! I know that wind is important, especially in the Spring--many plants rely on it to disperse their seeds. But wind is tough on vegetable plants, especially on new seedlings, so it's been a challenge to keep my plants healthy this week. The wind has been whipping about, tree branches falling all around, and after seeing my snap peas' twines get ripped from the trellises, I brought them inside.

I know, though, that pea plants love the cool weather, and they need at least 8 hours of sun. Keeping them indoors under a hot grow light wasn't doing them much good in the long run. I'm an admitted over-protective mother to my daughter, and now an effort is on to "toughen her up" ... a little. I want to do the right thing for my pea plants and not coddle them too much early on. So back outdoors they go--but not without a little wind protection. Bubble wrap comes to the rescue again! I placed the pots in a slightly sheltered but sunny area next to the house and created a simple wind shield with the bubble wrap. The wrap is not touching the plants.


I tried taking my more fragile and heat-loving seedlings outside for a while yesterday afternoon, but the wind started to sock them pretty good (they were wilting in less than an hour), so they'll stay snug indoors on their windowsills for another few weeks yet. Or at least until the wind dies down.

Filderkraut Cabbage on the first-floor sun ledge.


Sugar Baby Watermelon on the second-floor sill.

And just for kicks, a lovely pansy in my yard (photo taken by Mackenzie, age 9).

The sun was warm but the wind was chill
You know how it is with an April day
When the sun is out and the wind is still
You're one month on in the middle of May
--Robert Frost


No comments:

Post a Comment