Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fiddleheads

So the hard freeze last night didn't harm a thing in my yard, and I hope that most Michigan farmers were spared as well.

While I was out surveying my property earlier today (which took all of 3 minutes), I spotted tons of young fern shoots along the cool side of my garage. About three years ago, some loving family members offered up ferns from their overcrowded yard about 10 miles from me, and, since transplanting, the plants have nicely multiplied, as root-and-shoots do.

Ferns are magical this time of year. Their top curly-cue fronds (called fiddleheads) are something out of a Dr. Suess book. No wonder they've become a culinary delight--they're GORGEOUS, and they're packed full of antioxidants. If you're going to eat them, just make sure to clean and cook them properly--eating them raw have caused some illnesses. In fact, some varieties are toxic. Ostrich ferns are the safest to eat. They're usually able to be harvested just two to three weeks in the spring.

Before cooking, be sure to wash your fiddleheads thoroughly, rubbing off any brown coating on the plant. Boil or blanche them with some butter-water, finished with sea salt and pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment